Thursday, August 13, 2009

When Being Radioactive Is A Good Thing

I received some FABULOUS news yesterday! News that made me whoop with joy, shout with glee and blubber like a baby with relief. Seriously... I cried... right then and there... shut up B-Dub ;) I can cry if I wanna. You see, Bill Wixey had his PET scan yesterday and it has to be the Daddy of ALL PET scans. I guess channeling Jerry Garcia helped out.

I just wanna run up to Bill and Catherine and hug 'em! I wouldn't care if I had to wear a suit like Homer Simpson to do it! I am so glad that this family has a second chance, if you will. I will probably ramble on like a blithering idiot here, but there is so much I want to say and I can't seem to form paragraphs right now. I feel there will be a lot of run-on sentences, so let me apologize, in advance, to all the grammar police and English teachers everywhere.

I never 'personally' knew Bill and his family Before Cancer (B.C.). I only recently met Bill, followed by the rest of the Wixey clan shortly thereafter. I only knew Bill the way most of Seattle knows him. Through the magic of television. B.C. I was just another viewer who rather enjoyed Bill's enthusiasm for sports, which you could CLEARLY see when he reported it on KIRO. I had also been a long time viewer of Q13 Fox News, so you could imagine my mood when I found Bill was there, too! He has a self-depreciating sense of humor that slays me! His style of reporting makes you pay attention, listen up, get involved, take notice and sometimes makes you laugh your @$$ off. That's why I was ecstatic that he was part of the Q13 team! Where else can you get hard news with a two drink minimum? He fit right in...

And now is the part where I get to blame Lily Jang for everything!!! Being a faithful viewer of Q13 morning news, Lily, Mark(you heard me, Ferndale!), Adam, MJ, Bill, Angela, Parella, Darren, Brian(apologies to those I may have left out) were in my living room EVERY morning. They were like family that came over for breakfast everyday. WAY B.C. But I digress. Lily kept mentioning this Twitter thing. I kept telling myself that I did NOT need another site to keep up with, but she wore me down. I'm forever grateful to her that she did. Thanks, Lil! Because of her, I grabbed myself a Twitter account and started tweeting with her and a few others there at Q13. Then came some tweets from Bill.......

WHAT???? What the hell do you mean...Bill Wixey has cancer.... nuh-uh... no way! Cancer pisses me off. It took my best friend from me when I was only 10 and too young to 'get it'. And now I had just been dealt another cancer blow.... a member of my 'family' has cancer. A guy who is in MY house, so to speak (that magical television thing again), sometimes more than people who actually LIVE here!! I wasn't going to take any of cancer's B.S. this time. To quote Guns and Roses..... 'get in the ring and I'll kick your bitchy little @$$!!!'

Fast forward.... Team Wixey gets it's start, the Facebook page started by Damien grows daily and, best of all.... we got to come face-to-face with the man himself....drum roll...... Bill Wixey!
I was honored to be introduced. I was quite floored by how humble, down-to-earth and gracious he is. He was so appreciative of the team effort and the support. That blew me away for some reason. I thought, "How could Bill NOT know that he his liked by so many in Seattle". He was so thrilled to find out how many of us out here wanted to offer support, well-wishes and stories. It took some convincing, but I think we FINALLY got Bill to see how much Seattle loves him. Y'all know what I mean....

Hit the fast-forward button again... we all know the hours of chemo and hair loss he had to endure. Sometimes very painful to READ about so it was hard to imagine how Bill felt. I prayed to God, asked Our Blessed Mother to pray, had a long conversation with our late Holy Father JPII... he was a cool dude..... I asked him if he could remember Bill and his family in his prayers, asked Jesus if, at all possible, to take this cross Bill was bearing and ease his burden. I even bothered the late Father Kolbe. Poor man.. lots of people ask him to pray for them, but I wasn't asking anything for myself. I figured it couldn't hurt. (for those of you who might sense a theme.... yeah.... I'm Roman Catholic). I spoke to everyone I knew about it. People at work, church, the grocery store.... you name it. My kids are spreading the word, too. Gigi and Will are their age and they want to help. I began to feel a sense of where Bill was coming from. WOW! The outpouring of support is overwhelming!!! "You know Bill Wixey???? OMG! He's so cool!! Please tell him we support him and good luck(paraphrasing)" See, B-Dub?? I done tol' ya so!

The came the PET scan day. I spoke to Bill a few days before. Team Wixey stuff, Bill-a-palooza/Rock The Night things, chit chat about kids. Told him I was keeping track of his appointments because SOMEONE had to have Catherine's back... ha ha Wished him my prayers and luck on THE BIG DAY.

BIG DAY came and went... damn protein diet thing... some exercise snafu... one more day. I must have sat in front of my Twitter page with my phone in my lap for most of the day....(not really but it seemed like it ha ha) I told you I was worried, right? I was worried and excited. Excited because I KNEW the results would be favorable. You see, the night before, I just went ahead and said, "OK... I'm just gonna ask You(God) Jesus and ALL the saints and angels. We need all the help we can get, God. Thanks" Well, God is not only a Bill Wixey fan but he's a Mariner's fan, too!!! Cancer free and a win in the 14th 1-0. Thanks for the bonus, God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment